Monday

Exercise 30. Judging colour temperature 1

Exercise 30.

For this exercise I am required to provide three images that have been taken whilst the white balance setting on my camera has been set to daylight throughout. The images are to be taken in three differing light situations. 
As required the images have to be taken in very clear weather, I am very lucky, as clear weather is abundant here in Oman.  All images were taken at 100 ISO, and the shutter speeds were varied, in fig 1. full sun 1/5000sec, fig 2. shade 1/350sec and finally fig 3. 1/60sec.
  1. Full sunlight
  2. In shade
  3. In sunlight when the sun is close to the horizon.
This exercise helps me learn how to judge colour and how to see it.  Visible light is referred to in terms of colour temperature, which is affected by the time of day and the weather. 
Fig 1.   Full Sunlight.
 
In this image the  colour temperature is red/orange and the skin tones are unnatural.  This was taken early afternoon and therefor shadows on the face appear.
  
Fig 2.  Shade in middle of day
 
This image had a definite blue cast.  Little or no shadows. A flat image.
 
Fig 3.  Sunlight when sun is setting.
 
I expected this image to have a more orange temperature but I see only a little, particularly above the horizon,  maybe it was the position I was in when I took this image, with my back to the lowering sun at sunset..
I see cool blue tones again, I think this may be  due to the sea and sky in the background. The closest  and true to colouring of clothing and flesh tones.   




 









No comments:

Post a Comment